Monday, May 27, 2013

Endings before beginnings

It has been a tough and emotional week! I'm going to try hard not to cry while writing this, but just THINKING about the goodbyes from this past week makes me tear up. So here it goes.

Last week, I dropped my two dogs Cole and Dakota, along with my cat Doodoo head, off at Daniel's parent's home. We knew strangers were going to be in and out of our house since it is on the market to rent, and our dogs couldn't handle it. We take our dogs to our family's home all the time, but this time was so much tougher because I know we have 1 more month with them and then we won't see our pets for a long time. Anyone who is not an animal lover is probably rolling their eyes right now. I know, I know....I am ridiculous. On the way to drop them off, Coldplay's The Scientist came on my pandora and I actually started CRYING at this part:

Nobody said it was easy,
It's such a shame for us to part,
Nobody said it was easy,
No one ever said it would be this hard...
Oh take me back to the start.

Now, I'm sure Chris Martin did not intend for listeners to relate that song to their, uh, pets...but I couldn't help it!

A little secret. I love ALL of my pets, but Dakota is very special to me. She has been there for me for some really hard times. When Daniel and I were apart for a few months while he was in London, I really leaned on my dog. My home would have been so quiet and lonely without her, but instead I came home from work everyday with her waiting for my at the door, full of excitement and love. She helped me not be so sad while Daniel was gone, and she always seems to know what is going on in my heart. Daniel is my soulmate...but Dakota runs a close second. I don't know if I can handle saying goodbye for a long while.

OK, so that was tough, and then Thursday was my last day with my babies, my sweeties, my goobers (all nicknames for my students).

This school year was such a meaningful and special year to me. I starting teaching at a new school this year (Grace) and learned so much about myself there. Before starting there, I was really questioning if I was supposed to be a teacher. I wasn't happy, and I think I started to lose myself and my values as a teacher. Grace School showed me that I DO love teaching and reconfirmed that I value children, especially treating them with love and respect and challenging them daily. So it was hard to say goodbye to Grace School as a whole, but saying goodbye to my students? Heartache!

On the way to school on my last day, guess what song came on?


Nobody said it was easy,
It's such a shame for us to part,
Nobody said it was easy,
No one ever said it would be this hard...
Oh take me back to the start.

Open the floodgates while driving on I-10.

I only had 12 students this year, so the relationships that were formed with them were SO deep and meaningful. I love them like they are family, and not knowing if I would see them again...that hurts my heart to think about. I had to hold back tears on multiple occasions that day, especially when hugging my students goodbye for the last time. Simply put, it is really hard saying goodbye to people that you love.

OK, so that was long winded, but I wanted you all to know what's been happening on this road to moving. Thank you for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...