Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Raw "brownies"

Hello! I made this chocolaty concoction about a week ago and wanted to share the recipe with all of y'all...

 

http://www.damyhealth.com/2012/09/decadent-raw-brownies/

 
Back home, I made something similar to this. I can't remember exact measurements, but it was just about 6-8 dates, walnuts, and cocoa powder. You threw it all in a food processor,  smoothed it out on a tray, and froze it, and voila...a healthy, chocolatey dessert.

This recipe that I found takes it a few steps further, and I thought it was delicious, although Daniel prefers the simpler version.

First of all, let me tell y'all....people call these brownies. I am sorry, they are not. Brownies sinfully melt in your mouth, are richly gooey, and best served while warm, swimming in ice cream. It would be blasphemous to call this recipe anything of the same name. If you are in the mood for a real treat, by all means, have the REAL thing and love every single bite of it.

I make these for an everyday sweet treat. It's a healthy snack that I can feel good about eating, and it quenches my sweet tooth. Ok, here's the ingredients that I got from www.damyhealth.com and in parenthesizes I put what I used instead...

Brownie Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Pitted Dates (I used dried apricots because it's what I had on hand).
  • 1 Cup Slivered Almonds
  • 1 Cup Walnuts
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder (Use high quality)
  • 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
  • 1/3 Cup Ground Flax ( I just used the whole seed)
  • 6 Packets Stevia (I don't like super sweet so I only used 3)
Put all the ingredients in a food processor. I hate to say it, but if you have a cheap food processor then this is going to be a pain to make. I say this because my food processor is bottom of the line, and I am always fearful that it is going to burn out when I make this. After you mix it all to a paste like consistency, pour it into a brownie pan and freeze or refrigerate. This makes the mix all stick together a bit better. If the consistency doesn't seem to be sticking together in the food processor, add a bit of water or honey and that should do the trick.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
  • 3-4 Avocados (only needed 2, make sure they are soft)
  • 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Tbsp Agave Nectar (I used Honey)
  • 6 Packets Stevia (again, only used 2)
  • 1/2 Cup plus 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
Mix all of the ingredients in the food processor, then pour it on top of the "brownies". I know it sounds weird, being made with avocado and all, but I promise it is a rich and delicious icing!
 
See? So easy! I want to make something like this, but with pumpkin and spice instead of chocolate. I'll let you know how that goes!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I have a cheap food processor too and I have been wanting a Vitamix so bad!!! I use to go to cooking classes at Whole Foods and the girl use to make all kinds of things with the Vitamix. As a matter of fact she made something very similar to this recipe. I'll have to find it and share. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...